Monday, November 13, 2023

"Discover Fantasy", Experience Reality

Buffalo Games "Discover Fantasy" 500 pc. 

 "Who is she that walks down a guided path to what may seem like an out of reach castle.  Separating her from her destination is a river.  Will she find a way to  cross the river  or will she let it take her along with its flow to a place she couldn't dream of when she was still walking on that guided path."  

November 11 was my sister's birthday, and the first birthday without her.  She died in July.  My Mom still wanted to gather family together.  As I was packing to leave, Mom gave me a gift bag with four puzzles.  She found them at a closing out sale.  This puzzle was one of the ones in the bag.  I felt touched that Mom did this.  I am the only daughter she has left, and it was like she still needed to give her daughter something on the day that marked her as a mother.  I was honoured to receive a gift of puzzles, something both my sister and I like to do.  

This puzzle was the first one out of the four that I wanted to do.  The image drew me to a memory of my sister that I have yet to find corroboration from someone else who knew her during her single years.  

I vaguely remember my sister talking about going to Europe... maybe even to be a bank manager.  I am not sure when she told me that... I haven't yet found anyone that remembers her sharing those details with them, but her best friend for many years confirmed that they had talked about going to Europe.  

This picture reminded me of a journey, a dreamed destination and a change of course.  The lady walking down the walkway in the yellow coloured coat, is heading on a path designed for her to walk. In the distance she sees what looks to be a European Castle, but a river lies between her path and the castle.  I envision that being my sister before she was married.  She had a dream and then the river came and instead of crossing it, she let it carry her in a different direction.  It usually happens when one invites another human being on their journey of life.  

Jennifer never made it to Europe, but she made it to the Caribbean, Central America and across Canada and the US.   I might wonder what might have been had she crossed that river... but I will never know... and that's okay.  


One more thought:  The colour of the woman's jacket is the same colour as the November birthstone, Citrine, but in researching the details of the stone, I discovered something interesting.  Topaz (blue) is also a birthstone for November.  The year Dad died, Jennifer had a necklace made for Mom (at Dad's request) with birthstones from the whole family.  The birthstone she chose for November was the yellow one.  I figure it may have been a logical choice as it offered a different colour.  Dad's birthstone is a Sapphire and blue.  The Citrine is a slightly less expensive jewel, maybe more practical and less dreamy.  It's interesting how that is the one she chose.  I guess I will never know.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

"Discover Fantasy", Experience Reality

Buffalo Games "Discover Fantasy" 500 pc.   "Who is she that walks down a guided path to what may seem like an out of reach ca...