Friday, January 13, 2023

1964 WAS A GOOD YEAR TO PUZZLE


 

It isn't a puzzle I would pick off the shelf to attempt myself.  It is rather lacking colour and vibrant life for the most part.  The puzzle is called "Fall in Lancashire".  It is one of the 1000 pc puzzles I got from my Mom's collection.  She was so gracious to pass along part of my inheritance while she could experience me enjoying it. 

The puzzle manufacturer was Tuco.  A quick internet search told me that they started manufacturing puzzles in 1932 and stopped in the '80's.   

What is so unique and special about this puzzle was not just the puzzle itself, but the packaging.  It adds to the story.  Mom did the puzzle and then she packaged it back in the box, mostly intact, with a couple of sheets of newspaper from the Alaska Highway News.  


It dates the puzzle packing to the month of October 1964, or maybe shortly after.  That was only a few months after Mom and Dad were married.  I phoned my Mom today and asked her if she remembered, and she didn't.  That was almost sixty years ago, so I won't be too hard on her for not remembering.  I think I have enough evidence to say that this puzzle predates me and that makes it extra valuable. 

Mom didn't collapse the puzzle, so I was able to reassemble it this morning with very little effort on my part but a whole lot of effort on my Mom's part.  I am happy to save that effort and that is what really gives me joy with this little hobby of mine.  That and discovering just how much groceries cost in 1964.  


The puzzle quality testifies to its age.  The pieces are strong and thick, but were not all interlocking, which made assembly difficult.  I am amazed at how much finesse it must have take for Mom to get those pieces back in the box still assembled.  I think she wanted to save her work, so in a way, I was able to help her... more than a half a century later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Discover Fantasy", Experience Reality

Buffalo Games "Discover Fantasy" 500 pc.   "Who is she that walks down a guided path to what may seem like an out of reach ca...