Wednesday, May 17, 2023

THE PUZZLING OLYMPICS: OPENING CEREMONIES: CANADA FLAG

 



I signed up for an online puzzling event called the 2023 Summer Olympic Puzzling Games. It is supposed to be about community connection more than competition, but there are rules to abide by.  

There are varied events over the next two and a half months all with different puzzle categories mostly regarding piece count.  

The first event is called Opening Ceremonies.  There are ten days to complete any piece count of a puzzle with an Olympic theme.  So a sporting event, a country specific puzzle or a flag.  The only puzzle I had in stock was this Buffalo Games 1000 pc mosaic puzzle of the Canada flag.  

I got this puzzle from my mother. She had assembled it once (although she can't remember when). When she gave the puzzle to me it still had some chunks together. I didn't want to disassemble her handiwork, because that is more important to me than an online puzzle event. Since this was the only puzzle I had in stock that fit the criteria for the Opening Games... I decided to assemble it. Since the piece count isn't limited... I figured I could say that this originally was a 1000 pc puzzle, but I can submit it as a 484 pc puzzle, because after counting the pieces... that is how many I had to work with.


 I value authenticity... so that is why I am sharing this story. If the powers at be allow me to continue... all the puzzles going forward will be all unassembled. If this doesn't work, I will still follow along with the games and post my puzzles here on my puzzle blog. For me puzzling is not about rules and awards, it is about community and fun. I'm not sacrificing the latter for the former. 

Here are the process pictures.  The competition requires a few process pictures with a code word and secret item so they can see that the contestants are doing the puzzle during the competition.  





This was an insane puzzle and I am glad I had help from Mom or whoever put the puzzle together the first time.  Mom doesn't remember putting it together.  Even if I am in error by crediting her with the first assembly, I will chose to believe that it was her.  That is more valuable to me than any other story.  (Oh yeah... this sounds familiar). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Discover Fantasy", Experience Reality

Buffalo Games "Discover Fantasy" 500 pc.   "Who is she that walks down a guided path to what may seem like an out of reach ca...